Emby is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Plex, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Emby lets you install plugins, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the plugins let you listen to radio stations around the world, such as the TuneIn Radio Emby Plugin. Others let you look at videos in popular sites; this is the case of the Vimeo Emby Plugin. You can control Emby through a variety of devices, including your Kodi HTPC, with the Emby addon for Kodi.
What’s New in Emby Server 3.0.6050 Release?
The Emby Server 3.0.6050 release is part of a series of small releases, 3.0.600, 3.0.620, 3.0.630 and 3.0.650 which aim to resolve a few issues that were present in the Emby Server 3.0.5986 release. These releases introduce new features such as drag handles to reorder your playlists and better music genre images, as well as several bugfixes. You can see the complete list of new features and bugfixes for each release below.
Bug Fixes in Emby Server 3.0.6000 release
- Fix saving of country code setting in nfo’s
Other Improvements in Emby Server 3.0.6000 release
- Speed up database upgrades
- Unify voice components
- Add new stream builder options
- Improve performance of all episodes view
- Support photos in home video libraries
- Add ability to edit user profiles from admin screens
- Improve subtitles for Apple TV
- Update resume menu to show resume time
- Support username and password within xmltv urls
- Support more subtitle language conventions
- Display “more from artist” on album screen
- Add playlist item drag handles
- Set default directory picker path for QNAP
Issues Resolved in Emby Server 3.0.6020 release
- Prevent incorrect default movie rating
- Fix file date modified change not refreshing content
- Improve mobile safari loading problems
- Prevent media from being blocked when user access to transcoding is disabled
- Resolve music randomly stopping on Android
Other Changes in Emby Server 3.0.6020 release
- Improve performance of metadata editor
- Update mac server to newer garbage collection model
Issues Resolved in Emby Server 3.0.6030 release
- Added additional fixes for Mono 4.4, specifically relating to the library scan
- Resolve DLNA failure with Media Monkey
- Improved incorrect detection of multi-resolution movies
Other Changes in Emby Server 3.0.6030 release
- Added more transcoding details of active sessions to the server dashboard
Issues Resolved in Emby Server 3.0.6050 release
- Fix queue menu options
Other Changes in Emby Server 3.0.6050 release
- Support mp4 timed text
- Validate hardware encoder presence before attempting to use
- Improve library scan performance
- Improve people refresh performance
- Improve server shutdown performance
- Improve server dashboard loading performance
- Improve performance of loading artist lists
You can read more about these changes in the Emby Blog website. If you’re interested in finding out the best Emby client device, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices to get an idea of what to look for in an Emby client device.
Install or upgrade Emby Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Emby Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Emby in other operating systems: it can be installed on Linux, NAS Devices, MacOS or freeBSD.
Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Emby Server!