Let’s take a look at the process to install Transmission on Ubuntu Server. This tutorial will guide you step by step to get Transmission on your Ubuntu Server 16.04 thanks to the help of AtoMiC ToolKit. Transmission is a bittorrent client which features a variety of user interfaces on top of a cross-platform backend. This application allows users to quickly download files from multiple peers on the internet and to upload their own files. Transmission is best used with other software such as CouchPotato or SickBeard. [Read: CouchPotato vs SickBeard, SickRage, or Sonarr for beginners]
Before You Begin
For apps like SickBeard, SickRage, Sonarr, and CouchPotato, Usenet is better than Torrents. Unlimited plans from Newshosting (US Servers), Eweka (EU Servers), or NewsDemon, which offer >3000 days retention, SSL for privacy, and VPN for anonymity, are better for HD content. Sometimes US and EU servers carry different content.
|Newshosting||>3000 days, unlimited, SSL, VPN||$9.99||
$99.99 ($8.33 / month)
|Eweka||>3000 days, unlimited, SSL, EU Servers||€7,50 (Special!!!)|
|NewsDemon||>3000 days, unlimited, SSL, VPN||$7.50|
|Astraweb||>2800 days, unlimited, SSL||$8.00||$96.00 ($8.00 / month)|
|For more plans that may fit your needs please read our Usenet plan selection guide.|
Install Transmission on Ubuntu Server: concise method
- Access Ubuntu through commandline or open a terminal window.
- Install git-core with the console command: sudo apt-get -y install git-core
- Download AtoMiC ToolKit with git clone https://github.com/htpcBeginner/AtoMiC-ToolKit ~/AtoMiC-ToolKit
- Move to AtoMiC ToolKit directory with cd ~/AtoMiC-ToolKit
- Start AtoMiC ToolKit with sudo bash setup.sh
- Read and agree to disclaimers by typing y.
- Type the username to install Transmission as, typically your system login name, and press Enter.
- Scroll and select Transmission.
- Scroll and select Install Transmission.
- Check that correct script was selected and continue.
- When installation completes, check the output for any errors.
- Go back to the AtoMiC UI, select Transmission again.
- Scroll and select Access Details, in order to check the URLs and ports you can use to access Transmission.
5. What to do after you install Transmission on Ubuntu?
After you install Transmission on Ubuntu and access through a web browser you will be asked to log in with your credentials. Default values are
transmission as username and
transmission as password. You can change this later on. Also, no items will appear on your dashboard because you have not downloaded anything yet. Start using Transmission and enjoy the convenience of downloading content via torrent with this application!