Plex is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Emby, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. In this article we tell you about the changes introduced on the Plex Server 1.0.1 release. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Plex lets you install channels, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the channels let you listen to music from independent artists around the world, such as the Plex SoundCloud Channel. Others let you look at live TV streams; this is the case of the Plex FilmOn Channel.
What’s New in Plex Server 1.0.1 Release?
This Plex Server release is available for Plex Pass members and contains various improvements over the previous Plex Server version 1.0.0. You get, for example, an advanced preference to run the scanner at low priority, which is great for low-powered devices. Plex Movie Agent can now combine metadata from different sources, such as IMDb, The Movie Database and Rotten Tomatoes. Some problems playing subtitles in iOS clients with a Windows Plex server have been also corrected. Here’s the full list of improvements and fixes:
New in Plex Server 1.0.1 release
- Update Plex Web to 2.7.4.
- Updated Media Flags bundle.
- (Preferences) Advanced preference to run the scanner at low priority (intended for low-powered devices). (#4845)
- (Metadata) Rename Freebase Agent to Plex Movie Agent.
- (Metadata) Plex Movie Agent combines the best possible metadata from multiple sources (IMDb, The Movie Database, and Rotten Tomatoes).
- (Metadata) Added preferences to Plex Movie Agent and TheTVDB Agent to control metadata source of rating, cast info, and summary.
- (Metadata) Allow TheTVDB agent to use The Movie DB’s HD episode images, so you can have the best of both worlds.
- (Metadata) Upgrade to TheTVDB API v2.
Fixes in Plex Server 1.0 release
- (Transcoder) Playback failures playing subtitles on iOS with a Windows server. (#4828)
- (Transcoder) Crashes with unreliable internet connections. (#4827)
- (Transcoder) Playback issues with AAC audio containing more than six channels on Windows (#4830, #4843)
- (Transcoder) Crashes in certain error cases. (#4881)
- (Transcoder) Errors transcoding source audio with negative timestamps on Windows. (#4833)
- (Transcoder) Errors transcoding subtitles. (#4862)
- (Transcoder) Errors decoding MSMPEG4v3 video on certain platforms. (#4919)
- (Transcoder) Server hangs while transcoding in certain rare cases. (#4943)
- (Media Analysis) Scanner could hang with 100% CPU usage when analyzing videos with invalid packets. (#4821)
- (Metadata) Remove broken Google search for matching movies and TV shows.
- (Now Playing) Channel content wasn’t showing up in Now Playing. (#4893)
- (Security) Refresh TLS certificate after signing out multiple times. (#4817)
- (Network) Respect X-Forwarded-For headers sent from local or loopback addresses. (#4682)
- (Network) Crashes unpublishing the server in certain rare cases. (#4885)
- (Framework) Noisy ‘HTTPError’ object has no attribute ‘read’ errors in logs. (#4449)
- (FreeBSD) Update checks weren’t working correctly. (#4844)
- (OS X) In some cases, lyrics would not display (#4872)
- (Web) Playback failures when media has unselected subtitles. (#4939)
- (PHT) Compatibility issues with version 1.0.0 (#4831)
- Chapters from ChapterDB might not load under some circumstances. (#4814)
- Crashes in deep media analysis. (#4886)
You can read more about these changes in the Plex Official Forum. If you’re interested in finding out a good device to stream from your Plex server, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices and see if any of them suit your needs.
Install or upgrade Plex Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Plex Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Plex in other devices such as Plex server on NVIDIA SHIELD. Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Plex Server!