Raspbmc is a minimal Linux distribution based on Debian that brings XBMC to your Raspberry Pi. While Raspbmc offers great features, it has been found to fall behind on speed and fluidity compared to other media center OSes. This post introduces the recently released Raspbmc October update.
What’s New in Rasbpmc October Update
Raspbmc October update brings several fixes and improvements listed below. Some of the notable changes include speed improvements and inclusion of SABnzbd.
- Fix for lists being in an incorrect order in XBMC
- popcornmix introduces some fixes and features to XBMC:
- fix for a bug where changing channels on live tv results in a black screen
- the ability to stream silence via HDMI. This is useful if you ever press play and it takes a couple of seconds for your AV receiver to start producing audio. This must be enabled via advancedsettings.xml
- avoid clipping with amplification
- fix for stalling on seek when using deinterlace
- avoid jumping volume to maximum after ff/rw
- the speed improvements are now available as well — thanks Dom and Ben
- Based on XBMC Frodo 12.3
- Support for multi-channel audio
- Improvements to IO through use of BFQ and zcache
- Improvements to update system integrity: thanks Rob1698!
- Fix noisy syslog issue with spidev module
- Fix issue in initramfs where netmask was not substituted properly on static IP reservations used in NFS boots
- Now using libshairplay (an improved AirPlay library) for XBMC 13.x nightlies. I’ve also backported libshairplay to XBMC 12.x, so you should see improvements to AirPlay on the official Frodo build distributed with Raspbmc as well, however I still recommend you stay away from iOS 7. I’m investigating issues with iOS 7 at the moment, but it’s very difficult, as I don’t have any iOS device.
- Fix a race condition for UUID mounting in initramfs
- Following on from adding UUID support to the initramfs last month, I now use UUID labels by default. This means that you do not have to worry about putting the USB drive in the top port if you have multiple drives attached and are running a USB install
- NOOBS installations will now update themselves just as regular Raspbmc installs will
- Make sure Raspbmc skin is used in 24 hour nightly builds by default
- Fix issue where Raspbmc does not present itself correctly to a Mac OSX client. Thanks “Mausy5043″ for spotting this issue.
- Nightly builds can now be deleted from Raspbmc Settings. Thanks to ‘karnage’ for this.
- Support for many real time clocks out of the box
- Add eGalax touchpad support to XBMC
- Add Deluge torrent client (enable via Raspbmc Settings)
- Update sabznbd news reader to 0.7.16 to fix some PAR issues
- Fix a bug where logs were not rotating due to missing /var/run/rsyslogd.pid
- Quieter boot and less ‘init:’ messages are printed to the console
Here is the link to the official Raspbmc October update release announcement.
That is it. Enjoy the Raspbmc October update.