Emby is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Plex, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Emby lets you install plugins, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the plugins let you listen to radio stations around the world, such as the TuneIn Radio Emby Plugin. Others let you look at videos in popular sites; this is the case of the Vimeo Emby Plugin. You can control Emby through a variety of devices, including your Kodi HTPC, with the Emby addon for Kodi.
What’s New in Emby Server 3.0.5882 Release?
With this new release, Emby Server has introduced a few changes. Audio and subtitle selections are now remembered, so when you play a video that you have already played, Emby Server will remember your previous audio and subtitle selections, and then apply them automatically.
There is a new episode auto-play setting. This means now the next episodes of your media will be auto-played, but if you want to deactivate this feature, there’s a user setting you can tweak for that, under Playback.
Other changes in Emby Server 3.0.5882 release
- Fix chromecast queue command
- Update lazy loading of recording objects
- Update dlna server
- Add auto-organize smart match feature
- Update device discovery
- Fix subtitles in iOS safari
- Fix subtitle position after seeking in chrome & chromecast
- Remember audio & subtitle selections
- Auto-organize fix
- Fix reading of OfficialRatingDescription
- Support additional m3u fields
- Fix transcoding of sub/idx
- Improve support for videos within photo libraries
- Resolve issues with external players in mobile chrome
- Support creating a new series with auto-organize
If you’re interested in finding out the best Emby client device, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices to get an idea of what to look for in an Emby client device.
Best Plex Client Devices
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Streaming Media Player 2nd Gen - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Box 2nd Gen - $99.99
- Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD - $123.99
- Google Chromecast 2 - $33.98
- Intel Compute Stick CS125 Computer with Intel Atom x5 - $129.99
Install or upgrade Emby Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Emby Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Emby in other operating systems: it can be installed on Linux, NAS Devices, MacOS or freeBSD.
Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Emby Server!