Emby is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Plex, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Emby lets you install plugins, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the plugins let you listen to radio stations around the world, such as the TuneIn Radio Emby Plugin. Others let you look at videos in popular sites; this is the case of the Vimeo Emby Plugin. You can control Emby through a variety of devices, including your Kodi HTPC, with the Emby addon for Kodi.
What’s New in Emby Server 3.0.5930 Release?
The Emby Server 3.0.5930 release will perform a database upgrade once installed. This process might take a bit more time than usual, therefore being patient is strongly encouraged.
The Emby Server 3.0.5930 release brings new media information from the HD Homerun json api; this means that you’ll now see more direct play and stream copy of live TV than ever before. Also, Microsoft Edge got support for AC3 audio, which means it can now direct stream your live TV. Improvements on transcoding have been implemented on Edge and Opera; you’ll see now more remuxing and less video transcoding. This has been a feature on Chrome for quite some time. These improvements also include Emby Theater on Xbox one.
SSA subtitles will be rendered in-browser now; which is a special treat for anime fans, as it’s no longer necessary to burn in the subtitles with transcoding. The new feature also preserves the subtitle styles.
Fixes in Emby Server 3.0.5930 release
- Fix block by tags
- Fix dynamic images replacing custom images
- Fix sync quality cannot be changed
- Fix collection (boxset) grouping
- Fix EMC queries
- Fix channel playback on apple devices
- Fix default audio track detection
Changes in Emby Server 3.0.5930 release
- Improve identify feature
- Improve support for embedded video metadata
- Add subtitle option to only download subtitles that are a perfect match
- Restore yesterday in upcoming episodes screen
- Improve guest invitation error messages
- Windows: Install .net 4.6 framework if not already present
- Exclude trailers from suggestion headers
- Update subtitle encoding
- Windows: Update ffmpeg
- Update Dlna server friendly name
- Handle empty album artists list when probing music
You can read more about these changes in the Emby Blog website. If you’re interested in finding out the best Emby client device, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices to get an idea of what to look for in an Emby client device.
Best Plex Client Devices
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Streaming Media Player 2nd Gen - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Box 2nd Gen - $99.99
- Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD - $123.99
- Google Chromecast 2 - $33.98
- Intel Compute Stick CS125 Computer with Intel Atom x5 - $129.99
Install or upgrade Emby Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Emby Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Emby in other operating systems: it can be installed on Linux, NAS Devices, MacOS or freeBSD.
Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Emby Server!