Emby is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Plex, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Emby lets you install plugins, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the plugins let you listen to radio stations around the world, such as the TuneIn Radio Emby Plugin. Others let you look at videos in popular sites; this is the case of the Vimeo Emby Plugin. You can control Emby through a variety of devices, including your Kodi HTPC, with the Emby addon for Kodi.
What’s New in Emby Server 3.0.5971 Release?
The Emby Server 3.0.5971 release brings some new features, bug fixes and performance improvements. With this release, you will be able to browse Emby apps faster, and the playback is also improved thanks to reduced transcoding. The performance while browsing will be increased even further after the first run of the “Clean Database” scheduled task.
Playback in Firefox browser has been improved, and video transcoding was reduced as well, even at high bitrates. Furthermore, improvements have been also made on Roku and Apple TV playback. Emby server now supports embedded titles within audio and subtitle tracks, which allows you to personalize the track selection menu on Emby apps.
An updated TV guide, sync improvements, DLNA improvements and a new Live TV setting that allows you to preserve original audio when converting recordings, are also included on this Emby upgrade, adding even more options for you to enjoy your media with this application.
Fixes in Emby Server 3.0.5971 release
- Fix searches with special charcters returning empty results
- Use https provider urls
- Faster cleanup of missing episodes
- Don’t remember track selections for live tv channels
- Add fixes for episodes directly in season folders
- Fix m4a transcoding
- Support direct stream level 51 in web browsers
- Auto-select audio codec based on available encoders
- Fix people names ending in a period
- Allow dynamic images with unset content type
- Fix local trailer metadata
- Support multiple user data keys
- Fix channel logos not downloading
- Fix content sometimes not appearing after server restart
- Improve image lazy loading with IntersectionObserver
- Display ends at for videos
You can read more about these changes in the Emby Blog website. If you’re interested in finding out the best Emby client device, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices to get an idea of what to look for in an Emby client device.
Best Plex Client Devices
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Streaming Media Player 2nd Gen - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Box 2nd Gen - $99.99
- Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD - $123.99
- Google Chromecast 2 - $33.98
- Intel Compute Stick CS125 Computer with Intel Atom x5 - $129.99
Install or upgrade Emby Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Emby Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Emby in other operating systems: it can be installed on Linux, NAS Devices, MacOS or freeBSD.
Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Emby Server!