Emby is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Plex, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Emby lets you install plugins, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the plugins let you listen to radio stations around the world, such as the TuneIn Radio Emby Plugin. Others let you look at videos in popular sites; this is the case of the Vimeo Emby Plugin. You can control Emby through a variety of devices, including your Kodi HTPC, with the Emby addon for Kodi.
What’s New in Emby Server 3.0.5986 Release?
The Emby Server 3.0.5986 release aims to resolve a few issues that were present in the Emby Server 3.0.5972 release. Furthermore, it introduces new features, such as the advent of XML TV support as an additional option for guide data. A new channel mapping feature is also introduced, which is directed towards correcting mismatches of guide data and the channels picked by the TV tuner. Besides all of this, hardware transcoding has also been implemented, and can now be done via Nvidia NVENC and Open MAX (OMX). In regards to this last one, it is still experimental, so the Emby team is asking users to help them polish it, by providing feedback. You can see the complete list of new features and bugfixes below.
New Features in Emby Server 3.0.5986 release
- Update live tv suggestions to incorporate frequently watched channels
- Add setting to configure local IP address to bind http server with
- Add visual time indicator in tv guide
- Improve real-time monitor change management
- Support season and episode trailers from MovieDb
- Support flat tv libraries without series or season folders
- Adjust bitrate when converting between h264 and h265
- Add clickable tvdb episode urls
- Add clickable trakt links for movies and series
- Improve display of active recordings
- Improve generated subtitle display names
- Improve generated playlist images
- Improve error handling when transcode fails to start
- Avoid auto-restarting during recordings
- Add list view to several item list screens
- Update HLS subtitle display name
- Continue jQuery removal in mobile web app
- Utilize css containment
- Deprecate X-Frame-Options
- Sign out all active user sessions after password change
- Update vsync when transcoding
- Add fixes for mono 4.4
- Update vsync when transcoding
Best Plex Client Devices
Fixes in Emby Server 3.0.5986 release
- Fix recordings occasionally stopping early when converting on the fly
- Fix empty season display when season does not have a season number
- Fix queue all from here function
- Fix delete button in metadata editor
- Fix collection & trailer screens displaying empty results
- Fix live tv portion of setup wizard
- Fix saving of country code in NFO metadata
- Fix auto-organize icons
- Fix nav drawer being draggable when expanded
- Fix incorrect item index after playlist drag & drop
- Fix MovieDb image language parameters (thanks softworkz and anderbytes)
- Fix windows network browser within directory pickers
- Fix Dlna subtitles
- Fix Dlna music artists
- Add native syscall error handling
You can read more about these changes in the Emby Blog website. If you’re interested in finding out the best Emby client device, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices to get an idea of what to look for in an Emby client device.
Install or upgrade Emby Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Emby Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Emby in other operating systems: it can be installed on Linux, NAS Devices, MacOS or freeBSD.
Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Emby Server!