Knowing Kodi folder location can come in very handy for setup and maintenance of your HTPC or Kodi box. For performing manual operations such as duplicating Kodi settings to another device or optimizing Kodi performance by editing
advancedsettings.xml requires you to understand Kodi folder structure. In our previous Kodi beginners guides, we have described what is Kodi, Kodi usage, adding media sources, and changing skins. In this firth part of Kodi basic guide, I will present Kodi folder location on various devices and operating systems as well as understand Kodi folder structure. This guide provides just enough information so that you you are not lost when it comes to troubleshooting and maintenance.
Kodi Folder Location
Kodi app data location varies with the device and the operating system it runs. Before we start explaining Kodi folder structure keep the following points in mind:
- On some platforms, the Kodi folder is hidden so you will have to enable viewing hidden files on your file explorer.
- You will have to have opened the Kodi app at least once for the Kodi data folder to be created.
The list below describes how to find Kodi folder location on several common platforms.
On Android devices that run Kodi (including Amazon Fire TV and Stick), all Kodi settings and data are stored in the SD card storage in the following location:
Notice the dot in front of kodi. This indicates that the folder is hidden. So if you are in “files” folder and don’t find anything, enable viewing hidden files and folders.
On Windows, Kodi folder is located inside
AppData which is hidden:
So there you go, Kodi folder location in all common devices and operating systems. To delete Kodi settings and rebuild from scratch just find and delete the Kodi data folder (Warning: Understand what you are doing before doing this).
Mac hides the Library folder. So enable viewing hidden folders. Once done, you can find Kodi userdata folder here:
The easiest way to get there would be through terminal using the following command (use as-is):
cd /Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Kodi
Starting with Kodi? Read these Kodi Beginner guides!
- Kodi Beginners Guide Series: Part 1 (What is Kodi?), Part 2 (Kodi Usage), Part 3 (Adding Media), Part 4 (Changing Appearance), and Part 5 (Folder Structure).
- Understanding Kodi Settings: Audio and Video
- Beginner Blueprint: Complete Kodi Setup Guide.
- Beginner Blueprint: Complete Amazon Fire TV Kodi Guide.
On iOS devices, Kodi app data is located here: