Plex is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Emby, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. In this article we tell you about the changes introduced on the Plex Server 1.2.4 release. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Plex lets you install channels, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the channels let you listen to music from independent artists around the world, such as the Plex SoundCloud Channel. Others let you look at live TV streams; this is the case of the Plex FilmOn Channel.
What’s New in Plex Server 1.2.4 Release?
The Plex Server 1.2.4 Release is available for Plex Pass members and contains various improvements over the previous Plex Server version 1.2.3. With the release of Plex Server 1.2.4 Plex updated its Web interface to version 2.10.7. There are also some bug fixes included within this version You can see the complete list of changes on Plex Server 1.2.4 below.
Best Plex Client Devices
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Streaming Media Player 2nd Gen - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Box 2nd Gen - $99.99
- Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD - $123.99
- Google Chromecast 2 - $33.98
- Intel Compute Stick CS125 Computer with Intel Atom x5 - $129.99
New in Plex Server 1.2.4 release
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.10.7.
Fixes in Plex Server 1.2.4 release
- (PS4) Crash starting music playback from a PS4. (#5620)
- (Scanner) Issues handling non-ASCII characters in path names on certain platforms. (#5129) (#5231)
- (Linux) Crashes adding or removing libraries on some platforms. (#5615)
- (Linux) Don’t override the default Python install on Centos/Fedora. (5651)
- (NVIDIA SHIELD) Issues with premium music libraries. (#5643)
- (OS X) Exclude *.photoslibrary from default photos library. (#4910)
- A number of user-reported server crashes. (#5598) (#5644) (#5647)
You can read more about these changes in the Plex Official Forum. If you’re interested in finding out a good device to stream from your Plex server, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices and see if any of them suit your needs.
Install or upgrade Plex Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Plex Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Plex in other devices such as Plex server on NVIDIA SHIELD. Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Plex Server!