When it comes to watching sports, there are tons of options. But ESPN remains the most popular, especially for viewing college sports such as football, or professional matches like NFL games. Learn how to watch ESPN live on any device using over-the-top (OTT) services, Kodi addons, and more! [Read: 5 Websites to watch college football online for free]
Update - August 2017
Here is our list of updated College Football viewing guides for the 2017 season:
Streaming ESPN online
There are several methods for watching ESPN online. Which medium you select depends on your specific devices as well as your streaming needs.
Best Android TV Boxes
1.Over-the-top (OTT) services
Whereas over-the-air content may be freely accessed using an antenna, OTT broadcasting is delivered using the Internet. For streaming ESPN using over-the-top services, you have several options.
- Sling TV: Includes ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, and ESPN U. [Read: Intro to cord cutting: Sling TV review]
- PlayStation Vue: Features ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPNews, and ESPN Deportes [Read: Intro to cord cutting: PlayStation Vue review]
- Hulu live TV: Shows ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, ESPN U
- YouTube TV: Provides ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPNews
- DirecTV Now: Allows access to ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, ESPN U [Read: Intro to cord cutting: DirecTV Now review]
2. ESPN and WatchESPN apps
Another fantastic solution for streaming ESPN online comes from the ESPN app or WatchESPN app. In a major update, ESPN debuted a new ESPN mobile app which consolidated its ESPN app with the WatchESPN app. But on certain devices like Roku and Apple TV, you’ll need the WatchESPN app.
You’ll need a compatible provider. If you have a cable or satellite package with ESPN networks, you likely have access to ESPN and WatchESPN. For instance, you may use a login from the likes of Cox, AT&T U-verse, Google Fiber, Dish Network, Spectrum, or Brighthouse. Notably, IPTV services PS Vue and Sling TV also boast ESPN and WatchESPN authentication. [Read: How to stream college football on Kodi – 2017 streaming guide]
Similarly, ESPN3 allows users to watch ESPN live online. Like with ESPN and WatchESPN app, you’ll need a compatible provider for authentication. University students may receive access using a .edu email address, and U.S.-based military may also be able to stream via ESPN3. However, unlike WatchESPN where a pay TV service is required, some Internet-only packages provide ESPN3 access so it’s available to more users. [Read: Complete guide to stream college football live in 2017]
4. SportsDevil and other Kodi addons
Kodi and its derivatives such as OSMC are open-source media centers for watching both local content and streaming media. Third-party addons serve as apps with streaming content. Though there’s plenty to stream with Kodi addons, some of what you’ll find is illegally streamed. We at htpcBeginner don’t condone pirate streaming and downloading, so please only stream what you legally have the rights to. Regardless of what you are streaming, we suggest using a VPN or DNS service.
- SportsDevil: It is a video addon for live sports and highlights, blogs and TV. SportsDevil scrapes and resolves embedded streams from websites so that they can be played with Kodi. [Read: How to install Kodi SportsDevil addon]
- cCloud TV: While SportsDevil concentrates on sports, cCloud TV is a general IPTV provider. Therefore, it’s a good source of watching ESPN online for free, as well as a smattering of other content. [Read: How to install Kodi cCloud TV addon]
- Goodfellas 2.0: Boasts free ESPN online streaming.
- Rising Tides: On Rising Tides, you’ll find streams of ESPN along with a bevy of other video content.
- Falcon: This comprehensive streaming service offers everything from movies and TV to live sports.
- DexterTV: An IPTV content features ESPN, Fox, and more.
- VDubt25: Because of its excellent array of channels, VDubt25 is a top pick for Kodi addons.
- PlayStation Vue: For PS Vue subscribers, there’s a nifty Kodi addon.
- ESPN3: There’s an ESPN3 app for Kodi and like its various counterparts, the ESPN 3 addon does require authentication. For free channels like ESPN3 and ACCExtra, you’ll need to authorize these using your ISP. However, premium channels including ESPN, ESPN2, EPNU, and ESPNews do demand authorization with a cable or IPTV subscription.
Of the various Kodi addons, the best and most reliable are by far ESPN3 and PS Vue.
5. Mobdro app
Like a few of the aforementioned Kodi addons, Mobdro isn’t necessarily legitimate insofar as its legal standing. The VPN Guru features an excellent write up which explains more on its operation. Nevertheless, Mobdro is a fantastic source of free live streaming movies and TV. This includes the capability to watch ESPN live online. [Read: Install Mobdro on Android TV box]
Watch ESPN live online – Final thoughts
There’s no shortage of methods for streaming ESPN online live. Which you opt for depends on what you have at your disposal. For those with a compatible cable or satellite package, the WatchESPN app is a viable means. Many users including students gain access via ESPN3. IPTV subscribers have plenty of choices.
Your turn: How do you watch ESPN online?